Paytm was launched in India in 2010 and it is today one of the most popular e-payment apps in India. Its popularity grew when Indian Currency was demonetized in 2016 and the government encouraged the public to go cashless. People are not having idea that they can delete paytm account. Today Paytm is not only engaged with its payments services, but it has expanded its business further in the e-commerce sector. This too has one of the reasons of paytm’s success.
A few months back, paytm has announced that KYC was compulsory for every account. This means that every user has to verify their account using KYC to facilitate which certain documents were required. Now that no transactions are possible without KYC, everyone has to go for it, and that means one user can’t operate more than one account, like it previously used to happen. And without KYC, the number of features available is very limited. So, in such a case, you would want to delete those additional paytm accounts, for now, they are of no use.
If your account details were compromised or if you have lost your phone, then you don’t need to delete your account completely, instead, you can temporarily disable it. This way, your account details will be safe along with your transaction history. If you want your account back, you can always enter the credentials and get back right in.
You are at a right place if you are also seeking the answer to the question, How to delete Paytm account. While there is no direct way to delete your account, I will still tell you a few methods, using which you can at least close your account.
Methods to delete Paytm account
Method 1: Delete paytm account using the Paytm app and website
In this method, we will see how to delete paytm account using the paytm application and website.
- If you don’t have the paytm app already, then download the app from the app store.
- Launch the app and log in to the account you want to close.
- In the profile section of the app, click on the tab titled, ‘24*7 help’.
- On the screen that follows, click on the option, ‘managing my paytm account’.
- Another screen will appear, on which you have to select the option that says ‘I have lost my phone/changed my number’.
- On this page select the option of ‘I need to block my account’. (Please note that you will need a valid reason in order to make this step a success.)
- Now, as a part of this process, you will need to click on the option that says ‘message us’.
- Type your reason for closing this account on the screen that appears next. Probably, you have lost your phone and you want to block the paytm account on that phone, in that case, simply type the reason and press submit. But before submitting, you will have to give them proof, as a part of that proof, you can attach a screenshot of an email transcript of a transaction made from that account.
- Finally, you can press the submit button.
- You will have to wait for a couple of days before paytm deactivates your account.
You can visit their website and follow the same set of steps to deactivate your paytm account.
Method 2: Send an email to the customer care
In this method, we will see how to delete paytm account manually by sending an email to the customer care.
- Type an email explaining the reason why you want to delete your paytm account and send it to the customer care email id, email@example.com.
- Supplement that email with the information like your email id and paytm registered mobile number.
- You also need to prove that this account belongs to you, for that you need to attach screenshots of the paytm transactions.
- Within two days of sending the email, you will receive another email saying that your email request has been accepted. This email will be sent to you in about two business days.
Method 3: Change paytm phone number and delete the older one
In this method, we will see how to change paytm registered number and then remove the existing paytm number from the account.
- If you haven’t already, then install the paytm app from the app store.
- After launching the app, log in the app using the phone number you want to delete.
- Go to the profile section of the app and click on the button ‘edit profile’.
- In this section of the app, edit your mobile number and register any other mobile number.
- Now, on the upper right corner of the page, click on the save button to save the edits you have made.
- When the number is saved, you will receive an OTP on your new number, using this OTP verify your new number.
- This way, you have deleted your old number from the app and registered a new one.
Method 4: Delete paytm account using the mobile number
In this method, we will see how to delete the paytm account using the mobile number. This is the easiest method to do delete a paytm account. All you need to do is call paytm at their customer care helpline: 0120 3888 388. You will need to tell them the reason why you want to delete your account. They will send you a ticket regarding your issue and delete your account in a few business days.
However, if you want to know how to delete your paytm account permanently then there is this other set of steps that you should follow. But before you move onto that, please take note that you will never be able to login to paytm using that phone number and email id again.
Now to permanently delete your account—
- On the profile option, click on the message us button on the page from where you log in to the app.
- Type your query in that message box in detail and send the mail.
- As soon as the paytm receives your request, their team will get in touch with you to know the reason why you want to delete that account. This way if your issue can be solved without deleting the account, then you can be helped.
- Then you will receive a message from paytm that will have a link to close that account.
- Click on that link and follow it to successfully delete your account.
Paytm is short for Pay through mobile and is the easiest way of making online payments. However, as mentioned above, Paytm is into many other things too, like you can pay your electricity bills, buy movie tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, pay credit card bills, broadband bills and so much more. Paytm has its own mall too, wherein all the products, ranging from women’s fashion to electronics are available at great offers.
According to the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, Paytm has to store its’ users data for about 10 years even after you delete your account permanently. No one has access to this data, though, the government too, is allowed to access it after a legally compliant request. This information is stored in the servers located in India and paytm cannot share it with any third party.
If you have any more questions, feel free to mail me or comment below and one of our team member will connect with you soon.